Some preserved sites.
Some history and culture
Controversies Concerning Archaeology
American Indian Voices
News Archive Index
Return to main Learn page
Please inform the webmaster of any broken links!
Remains Found at Hellman Site
by way of indianz.com
Archeology: State Coastal Commission orders a halt to grading for houses
after Native American graves are unearthed in Seal Beach
By SEEMA MEHTA
TIMES STAFF WRITER
October 1 2002
State officials have halted construction of a gated community in Seal Beach
after the discovery of the remains of at least 18 Native Americans on land a
local tribe considers a sacred burial ground.
The cease-and-desist order by the California Coastal Commission is the latest
twist in the 21-year history of the Hellman Ranch, a 196-acre property
between the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station and the San Gabriel River that
has been so controversial that local leaders once received death threats over
plans to develop there.
While Native American activists picketed the Heron Pointe project Monday
afternoon, a representative of developer John Laing Homes said the company
had reached an agreement with official representatives of the Tongva people
to conduct extensive archeological testing on the site.
"John Laing Homes is sensitive to the privacy of Native American descendants,
and any recovery of remains we are managing with the dignity and respect they
deserve," said Joanie Madrid, Heron Pointe project manager.
The commission issued the stop-work order last month, halting the grading of
pads for 70 single-family homes on 18 acres of the ranch.
Peter Douglas, the commission's executive director, said the agency's staff
asked the developer to halt work once the remains were found.
"The concern is that the cultural values here be respected, and that the
remains that were found be respected and dealt with in a manner that is
consistent with the Native Americans' desires," he said. "It was a very
significant site from our perspective."
Douglas said he issued the order only after the developer refused to halt
Madrid disagreed, saying the grading was stopped Sept. 14--two days before
the order was issued.
Commission staff members are scheduled to meet today with the developer and
Native American groups in Long Beach.
Douglas said he is not interested in penalizing Laing Homes, only in making
sure that the remains are handled properly.
The agency issued final approval for the project late last year, allowing
development near the San Gabriel River and requiring 150 acres to be sold
eventually for conservation and wetlands restoration.
Earlier, the commission had added special conditions to the development
permit after a tribal elder testified about the importance of the site, which
may have been a burial ground.
Allowing Native American monitors and an archeologist to oversee excavation
work and grading, and temporarily halting work after significant finds occur,
were among the requirements.
Madrid said the developer has reached an agreement with the monitors, and the
"most likely descendant" of the local tribe, who is assigned by the Native
American Heritage Commission.
The developer will excavate more than 100 test sites. Finding bones or
artifacts will lead to additional digs.
"The goal is to find anything that is in the ground," Madrid said. "We've
been working very closely with Native Americans all along."
But one Native American monitor said there is no agreement on what to do with
the remains, and other issues are also unresolved.
Remains now are being stored and will eventually be reinterred.
Jordan David, who said 20 sets of remains have been unearthed and expects
more to be found, disputed the developer's assertion that it has worked with
the Native American community.
David said that at one point, he and another monitor had to stand between a
burial site and bulldozers to stop it from being destroyed.
"My job is to ensure the safety of the ancestors and artifacts out there," he
said. "Beyond that, it's my duty as a Native American to stop somebody from
desecrating a spiritual area, specifically a burial site."
Madrid, however, said no confrontation occurred and that the story was being
spread by a monitor who opposes any development. "That never happened," she
Douglas said Monday that one of the reasons he issued the cease-and-desist
order was to avoid confrontation.
A handful of activists continued picketing the site Monday evening, carrying
signs reading "Save Hellman Ranch," "Save the Wetlands" and "Save the Native
Burials." Passing drivers honked their support.
Andy "Young Plow" Morales said he would like to see all development stopped.
"Our goal is to preserve the land, to protect the land and to protect the
buried ancestors," said Morales, the son of the chief of the
Gabrielino-Tongva Nation. "Our ancestors have been dug up and disturbed....
How would [the developer] like it if Native American people go to their
ancestral land, dig up their ancestors and put them in boxes or museums or
throw them away in the trash and abuse them?"
The ranch, which had been in the Hellman family since the 1880s, was the
subject of many development plans over the years. The latest project is much
smaller than earlier proposals that called for as many as 1,000 multiple- and
In 1997, several proponents of development--including then-Seal Beach Mayor
Gwen Forsythe--said they had received bullets in the mail, prompting an FBI
Similar mailings were made to officials tied to Bolsa Chica and Newport Beach
projects; all parcels were thought to contain Native American remains. No
arrests were ever made.
If you want other stories on this topic, search the
Archives at latimes.com/archives.
Go to News Archive Index